The topograph of the District is even. It is mostly plane of alluvial formation sloping gently at the rate of 2Ft. per mile from the North-East to South-West. The district is divided into three main belts which runs some one parallel to the course of Sutluj river. On South-West side the bet area called Hithar has hard alluvial dark gray clay intermixed with straits of sand. On the South-East side the Rohi and Mukhi planes have light and sand soil and blakishness of water in wells. The district has two types of soils namely Seorozem soil and Desert soil, Salinity and Alkalinity area calcarious usually having white crust of salts on the sufface. Almost all soils are difficient in N.P.K having PH value of soil ranging from 8.0 to 8.6.
ADMINISTRATIVE SET UP:-
At the district level Chief Agricultural Officer is the head of the department to look after the entire Agriculture Development work in the district. He is assisted by the below mentioned senior district level officers.
- District Training Officer.
- Project Officer (Reclamation)
- Statistical Officer
- Asstt. Agril. Engineer
- Agricultural Officer
- Agriculture Officer (Subject Matter Specialist (PP))
All the above mentioned officers are provided with sufficient subordinate and trained staff.
In nutshall the Agriculture Administration Set-up of the District is as depicted below:-
Laboratory Abohar These laboratories provide free soil and water testing facilities to the farmers at there door steps in order to maintain the soil health.
SCHEME TO IMPROVE SOIL HEALTH
- Vermiculture: – Department is imparting training to the farmers regarding preparation of vermi-compost i.e earth worm (Lal Gandoa) Special Ascina-Fatida and its uses in the field of Agriculture. Its economy is also make to understand to the farmers in the perpespective of World Trade Agreement.
- Farm Yard Manure (Compost Khad): – Training is imparted to the Farmers in respect of preparation and uses of Farm Yard Manure as it is absolutely necessary in the organic farming.
- Green Manuring: – Farmers are trained and tought to do green manuring e.g. Jantar soeing at regular interval in their field to keep the Soil Health at good standard. Jantar seed is provided to the farmers at subsized rates.
DIVERSIFICATION OF CROPS: – Department of Agriculture advised to the farmers regarding diversification of paddy and wheat crops to Cotton, Basmati and Oil seeds Crops.
PULSES AND OILSEEDS CROPS:- Farmers are advised and guided regarding diversification in the cropping pattern. In this regard department provide minikits of improved seeds of crops such as oilseeds and pulses to the farmers as per recommendation of PAU to grow these crops successfully. In the year 2004 department has provided 100 such kits of soyabean and 40 of Moong to the farmers free of costs.
HIGH QUALITY SEEDS: – Good Quality Seeds are made available to the farmers through PUNSED on subsidy.
QUALITY CONTROL: – To Provide good quality Seeds, Fertilizer, Pesticides to the farmers the department of Agriculture control, Markfed, Punjab Agro, N.F.L.IFFCO Co-operative Societies and other private dealers under the strict vigilance of department.
TRAINIG CAMPS: – Department organise two District Level, Ten Block Level and village level camps in Kharif and Rabi season to impart training to the farmers for new technology by P.A.U.
BEE-KEEPING: – To arrange and impart training to the farmers at Bee-Keeping farm. Good quality beehives and bees for farmers at farmers costs and as well as subsidized